Are you a plant-based queen wondering how to juggle your love for animals with the need for omega-3s in your life? Or, you may be allergic to seafood but still want the benefits of having sufficient omega-3s sans fish oil. Either way, you’ve come to the right place.
HerHappyHealth.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. This post contains affiliate links, and we may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This website is reader-supported, so thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for our well-being - like the superheroes of our hearts and brains. But here’s the twist: these nutrients are usually found in fish and other seafood, which is off the menu for vegans and vegetarians alike. So, how do healthy adults ensure they get enough of these crucial fats?
Although it seems like an ocean-sized challenge, with some knowledge and suitable supplements, you can quickly meet your daily omega-3 goals while adhering to your dietary preferences.
Let’s dive in, shall we? (P.S...no snorkel required!)
Why Vegans Need Omega-3 Supplements
Omega-3s are a type of polyunsaturated fat, an essential nutrient that is vital for our health. These are fats your body can’t make itself, so they have to come from an outside source (aka our diet).
Omega-3 fatty acids are important as they aid in cognitive function, heart health, vision, immune health, and muscle function as we age.
Enhanced levels of DHA are required for optimal brain performance, helping to decelerate the brain’s aging process and cognitive impairments (such as memory loss.)
DHA also plays a vital role in maintaining skin health, contributing to a soft, hydrated, supple, and wrinkle-free complexion.
If all that wasn’t impressive enough, omega-3s can also support bone strength and density, helping to alleviate chronic joint pain and tenderness by reducing inflammation.
Three key players in the omega-3 family are ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). Each of these fatty acids has a unique role in maintaining a more balanced body:
- ALA, a precursor to DHA and EPA, is primarily found in plant oils such as flaxseed, soybean, and canola oil. It’s not biologically active unless it’s converted, so other than being an energy source, it is best to intake DHA and EPA directly.
- DHA, a long-chain omega-3 fatty acid, is crucial for the brain, eye health, healthy skin, and the central nervous system. It is usually found in animal products, including fish and eggs.
- EPA, another long-chain omega-3 fatty acid commonly found in fish and seafood, is known for its immunity and anti-inflammatory effects. It is also vital for heart health.
While they each have unique benefits, all three fatty acids are essential for optimal health and should be included in our diet.
With growing awareness of the importance of omega-3s, and an increased population of people following plant-based diets, there has been a recent surge in vegan omega-3 supplements on the market. These supplements typically use algal oil or other marine plant sources to provide the essential fatty acids without fish oil.
Whether you’re a long-time vegan or just starting your plant-based journey, adding these essential nutrients can help you function at peak capacity.
This guide presents the top vegan omega-3 supplements of 2023, highlighting their distinctive features and benefits to assist in making an informed decision.
Freshfield Naturals | Vegan Omega-3
Why We Love It
Freshfield Naturals Vegan Omega-3 is a prime option for those prioritizing eco-friendliness. This supplement is sourced from sustainable algae and packaged in recyclable materials.
It is environmentally conscious and provides a blend of essential fatty acids, including eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), DPA, and DHA.
- Per capsule: 225 mg DHA, 35 mg DPA
- Ingredients: Algal oil (Schizochytrium sp. algae), ascorbyl palmitate, glycerin, lecithin, modified food starch, purified water, rosemary extract, tocopherols
- 60 capsules per bottle (Serving size: 2 capsules)
- Carrageenan-free capsule
- Certified Plastic Negative
- Certified Carbon Neural
If you care deeply about our planet, want to eliminate the risk of ingesting ocean toxins, and are concerned about overfishing, Freshfield Naturals’ commitment to eco-friendliness in their product manufacturing is a big green light.
Future Kind | Vegan Omega-3
Why We Love It
Future Kind Vegan Omega-3 is a superior choice for those searching for a premium option. This supplement offers allergen-free, sustainably grown algae in a recyclable glass bottle. It provides a mix of DHA and EPA, making it an ideal for vegans.
- Per capsule: 20 mg Omega-6, 275 mg Omega-3, 75 mg EPA, 150 mg DHA
- Other ingredients: Algal oil (Schizochytrium sp. algae), modified tapioca starch, glycerin, purified water
- 60 softgels per bottle (Serving size: 1 softgel)
- Allergen-free! Contains no GMOs, gluten, wheat, yeast, nuts, soy, sugar, salt, animal derivatives, artificial colors or preservatives
- Carrageenan-free tapioca soft gel
- Carbon-neutral shipping
- Third-party tested for potency, heavy metals, and pathogens
These soft gels are easy to swallow because they have a pleasant orange scent and use the most miniature capsules available compared to other supplements. They’re made in the USA and are manufactured at an FDA-regulated and cGMP-compliant facility.
You can genuinely feel good about where this product comes from!
Best for Purity
Amandean | Vegan Omega-3 (DHA + EPA)
Best for Purity
Why We Love It
If purity is your priority, Amandean Vegan Omega-3 (DHA + EPA) is a fitting choice. Made from marine algae grown in the United States, it’s created from clean, quality ingredients, and is a highly-bioavailable source of DHA and EPA to support your overall health.
- Per capsule: 275 mg Omega-3, 150 mg DHA, 75 mg EPA
- Ingredients: Algal oil (Schizochytrium sp. algae), vegan capsule (non-GMO modified tapioca starch, non-GMO vegetable-based glycerin, purified water), non-GMO sunflower seed oil, rosemary oil extract (preservative), tocopherols (Vitamin E), ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble Vitamin C)
- 120 soft gels per bottle (Serving size: 2 capsules)
- Certified Plastic Neutral
The Amandean Vegan Omega-3 (DHA + EPA) supplement positively supports overall health and skincare. Although it may not be as well-known as some other brands, the quality of the ingredients and the assurance of purity through current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulations makes it a top contender.
Deva | Vegan Omega-3 DHA-EPA
Why We Love It
If a vegan alternative to fishy omega-3s is important to you, but swallowing pills is not your thing, Deva Vegan Liquid Omega-3 DHA-EPA (Lemon Flavor) emerges as a user-friendly option in its convenient liquid form. With a pleasant hint of lemon citrus, this is an enjoyable way to get your daily dose of essential fatty acids.
- Approximately 14 drops (1 adult serving): 120-140 mg DHA, 60-80 mg EPA, 6.6 mg Vitamin E
- Other Ingredients: High oleic sunflower oil, mixed tocopherols, lemon oil, stevia reb-A, ascorbyl palmitate, sunflower lecithin, rosemary extract, citric acid
- Two fluid ounces - 90 adult servings per bottle
- 100% vegan and vegetarian registered by the Vegan Society (the non-profit organization that invented the word “vegan”...how cool is that?!)
You can blend this supplement into a smoothie or add it to regular meals.
Be sure to store the bottle in the refrigerator after opening to maintain peak freshness!
Sports Research | Vegan Omega-3
Why We Love It
Unlike vitamins and minerals, there’s no specific recommended daily allowance for omega-3 fatty acids. However, if you’re eyeing a higher dose of omega-3s, Sports Research Vegan Omega-3 could be what you’re looking for.
- Per capsule: 210 mg DHA, 105 mg EPA, 70 mg Other Omega-3 fatty acids
- Other ingredients: Plantgel™ capsule (non-GMO modified tapioca starch, vegetable glycerin, purified water), sunflower seed oil, rosemary extract, tocopherols, ascorbyl palmitate
- 60 soft gels per bottle (Serving size: 2 soft gels)
This product stands out primarily because of its encapsulation innovation. Sports Research was the first to develop a tapioca-based, carrageenan-free veggie soft gel named Plantgel™. Their products are manufactured in a cGMP Compliant facility, and their fermented natural algae is third-party tested, so you know you are giving your body quality plant foods.
MaryRuth's | Omega 3-6-7-9 Gummies
Why We Love It
MaryRuth’s Organics Omega 3-6-7-9 Gummies is a pectin-based, gluten-free gummy that provides a wide array of essential fatty acids (EFAs) without using fish oil. They come in delicious peach, mango, and apricot flavors formulated for children and adults!
- Per gummy: 110 mg Flaxseed oil, 66 mg sea buckthorn berry powder, 54.5 mg Omega-3 Alpha-Linolenic acid, 14.25 mg Omega-6 Linoleic acid, 7.5 mg Omega-7 Palmitoleic acid, 19 mg Omega-0 Oleic acid, 11 mg Vitamin C
- Other Ingredients: Organic isomalto-oligosaccharides (VitaFiber TM), purified water, organic erythritol, pectin (from citrus), natural flavors, citric acid, lecithin, sodium citrate, organic monk fruit extract, organic sunflower oil
- 120 gummies per bottle (Serving size: 1 gummy)
- No gelatin
- Clean Label Project certified
The ALA and Linoleic acid in these gummies, which are omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, provide the body with energy, and ALA specifically promotes heart health. The sea buckthorn, a rare plant source of omega-7, contains a unique composition of Palmitoleic acid, which potentially aids in maintaining healthy metabolic function. To round it out, Oleic acid (omega-9) may contribute to supporting cardiovascular health.
Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplement For You
Several factors come into play when selecting your perfect vegan omega-3 supplement.
- Source of the omega-3s
- Quality certifications
- Personal preferences
Review the complete list of ingredients and seek third-party quality certifications to ensure the product is safe to consume and free from marine ecosystem contaminants or other hazardous substances.
Embrace the power of these essential fats to fuel the body and unlock your full potential!
Vegan Omega-3 Supplement FAQs
Is there such a thing as vegan omega-3?
Yes, there is such a thing as vegan omega-3! Plant-based sources such as walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, edamame, and seaweed contain omega-3 fatty acids.
Vegan sources of omega-3 can be obtained from sustainable algal oil capsules and may provide the same effectiveness as fish oil supplements.
What are the benefits of vegan omega-3 supplements?
Vegan omega-3 supplements are made with plant-based ingredients and can help support heart and brain health, improve memory, reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol levels. Furthermore, they can help strengthen your immune system and nourish healthy skin, hair, nails, and joints.
How do vegan omega-3 supplements compare to fish oil?
Vegan omega-3 supplements are typically made from algae or microalgae, whereas fish oil is derived from the tissue of fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, or sardines.
Supplements sourced from algae oil contain eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These are the same fatty acids in fish oils, making them an excellent alternative when avoiding animal products!
Vegan omega-3 algal oil supplements can also be good for people who cannot tolerate the taste of fish or those allergic to seafood.
What is the best vegan omega-3 supplement?
The best vegan omega-3 nutrition support depends on your individual needs and preferences. As mentioned above, it’s important to consider factors like the source of omega fats, dosage, quality certifications, allergens, and price before selecting a supplement.
Before taking a new product, you may want to consult a healthcare professional to ensure the supplement is a positive addition to your regimen.
Are vegan omega-3 supplements safe?
Vegan omega-3 supplements are generally safe to take when sourced from reputable brands. However, reading the label and verifying that all ingredients are free of any potential allergens, artificial ingredients, heavy metals, or other ocean pollutants to support your plant-based diet is essential.
Please talk with your healthcare provider before taking any new supplements.
Can I get enough omega-3s from my diet?
While it’s possible to get adequate amounts of these essential fats through dietary sources alone, those who cannot consume sufficient quantities of plant-based foods may benefit from supplementation.
How We Choose
Our carefully curated selection comes from vetting the top-rated vegan omega-3 supplements. Our team evaluated hundreds of customer reviews to narrow down the best of the best. There is something here for everyone!
The content on this website, including text, graphics, images, and other materials, is provided solely for informational or educational purposes. It is important to note that individuals seeking personal medical advice should always consult with a healthcare professional. Her Happy Health and its authors are not responsible and will not be held liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
Statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.